Come To Me...

From time to time we are contacted by people who express a desire to end their lives. They have come to a place where they sorrow without hope of anything ever changing and death appears to be their only means of escape. This is utter hopelessness.

To consider suicide which the Bible would consider self-murder, comes as a result of blaming God for allowing certain circumstances into life and then to say that He has violated His Word (1 Cor 10:13). There is always a way of escape. Part of the trouble is that when life has us in a choke old we want a way out rather than a way through!

Most Christians who consider suicide believe that their problems are TOO BIG for God. (Matt. 10:29, 30) The suicidal person has lost sight of the fact that God is Sovereign!

As has been said before, the world calls this depression, or a form of mental illness that can be “treated” with pills or therapy. There is often no mention of the source of true hope, Jesus Christ. Of course, when true biological illness is present the appropriate method of treatment is to address the organic dysfunction or disease. This can bring help and hope with respect to recovery in the physical yet, for the Christian the physical body is only a temporary housing of an eternal being.

What is often found when a legitimate examination of hopelessness takes place is not physical, it is spiritual. The only source for finding hope in this life is always the Word of God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; He is the way through!

This is where we should look when life seems hopeless, and we feel discouraged and suicidal for lack of hope. God’s promises are sure and His power is matchless. He is wisdom and His love for His own is unlimited. God promises that He is sufficient and His Word is sufficient to meet every problem of life.

The old great hymn of the faith tells us, “In Christ alone my hope is found!” He is the place we are to look and His Word to us, the Bible (written by the Holy Spirit 2 Peter 1:21) and it there we will find the sure and certain promises of God.

God’s Word is full of hope! Some I have cited references for, and others I have inserted the text. I pray these verses will encourage you today!

Psalm 62:5–8: Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.

Micah 7:7: But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me.

Ephesians 1:18: I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he [God] has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints.

1 Timothy 6:17: Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.

Hebrews 10:23: Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.

Psalm 25:1-5; 31:23-24; 33:20–22; 52:9; 65:5; 71:5; 133:3;146:5–6;147:10–11; Proverbs 23:17–18; Isaiah 40:28–31; Romans 5:1–5; 2 Corinthians 1:10; Titus 1:1–2; 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17; Hebrews 6:17–20; 1 Peter 1:3-4.

Build your hope on God alone! I know the temptation is strong to run to the solutions that the world offers! While drugs (prescription and otherwise), alcohol, and indulging in worldly pursuits bring some temporary relief they are not the approaches that will bring long term change and relief. None of those remedies solve anything, all they do is to in most cases make matters worse in the long run!


QuoteOnly a changed heart that is focused on living life to glorify God- even in the midst of sorrow and loss – can experience real hope and joy. Can I encourage you today with the truth that God is trustworthy! He is aware of you and your life and He means to bring good out of your trials. God is without sin and cannot lie to you, He is worthy of your trust.

If you are living defeated and discouraged today, beaten down emotionally by the circumstances of life I wasn’t to encourage you to go to the place of help, healing and hope. Jesus said, in Matthew 11:28, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”