Boxing With God

“But I would speak to the Almighty, And I desire to argue with God.” Job 13:3

My friend and Pastor recently told me about a book which was titled something like this: Your Arms are too Short to Box with God.


Have you ever wanted to box with God? Sometimes when we are getting answers from God that we don’t like we want to argue back, or tell God He has just got this wrong.


Scripture says Jacob wrestled with God and that God touched a vital and sensitive area of Jacob’s anatomy, thereby incapacitating him. God intended to show Jacob that He was all powerful, and that He could not be manipulated by Jacob’s usual means. Of course, because He was God He could not be overcome in any event by Jacob.


Jacob was a master manipulator and was accustomed to getting his own way by any method; He lied, cheated and stole his way to the top. (Isn’t it interesting that in spite of all that, God used him in a mighty way? It does make me think- about God’s patience, mercy and how his ways are so much higher than ours are!) He was able to bully and push his way into anything he wanted- except when it came to one night at the ford of Jabbok where he met his match. (Gen 32:14-32)


Job was (as Scripture tells us) a righteous man. He was upright and obedient before God. How he managed not to sin in the midst of his misery is beyond my ability to understand and to do. If I were Job, I would not have succeeded! And yet, Job did question, he did desire to argue with God. He did challenge God’s wisdom and ways in his situation.


I am realizing as I am in the midst of my own whirlwind that like the rest of these awesome heroes of the faith that in my flesh I want to box with God, I want to wrestle with God, and I want to argue with God.


I hate what is happening here, watching my mom whither and decline and seeing her unending suffering. I very much want to argue with God and tell Him how I have a better plan, and how my way is the better way.


Once again, I must return to the immovable sovereignty of God, dear Reader. If I were to choose to “take on” God I would lose- immediately! It is not my place to question nor is it my place to try and give counsel to God. His ways are wonderful!


A personal note today~ I want to thank those of you who have been praying for my mom through this journey of suffering. There is a little progress today but she is still very very weak and we are not out of the woods yet. I would ask you to continue to pray for the mercy of God and His will to be revealed in all of this. Thank you!