Walking on Water

Peter said to Him, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.” And He said, “Come!” And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me Immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and said* to him, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?” Matthew 14:28-31

These verses pretty well sum up my life at the moment. Those of you who read regularly know the upheaval my personal life is in at this time. My mom continues to decline in health, my home is for sale, my husband has accepted a new job in a new State, and we are leaving behind all I have ever known. In just a few short weeks my hunny will be leaving without me and we will be living apart until all is finished here. We have never been apart for longer than a week and this could be for several months! It would be so easy to just simply go under the waves and allow all this to sweep me away and indeed at times it is very tempting to do so.

Are you ever so overwhelmed by circumstances that you are nearly paralyzed? I have occasionally found myself there over these last weeks and months. Each time I take my eyes off of Jesus and focus on what is happening in my life, I start to go under from the turmoil in life.

This passage is a great reminder to keep my eyes and my heart focused on Christ. Peter learned very quickly that he could continue to defy the odds and truly walk on water in the midst of the storm as long as he kept his eyes locked on Christ. You and I can do the very same thing even in the midst of great storms with trials that want to swamp the boat.

Jesus Christ is our only hope, He is our only "port" in the storms of life. We must keep our eyes fixed on Him, He is our refuge and strength and an ever present help in time of need.

Labels: