The Past in the Shadow of the Cross

We have been spending some time this week looking backwards, thinking about the benefit of remembering our past experiences and our past successes and failures. Our past is as valuable to us as our present in many ways.

The past is a part of us, no matter how we try and escape it, and it is often used by God to minister to other people. Looking back at the Old Testament records, we can see that the Kings read the chronicles of their past, and gleaned much wisdom from them. Even when they had the chronicles read to them because they could not sleep, God used those records of days long past to effect the future of Israel.

I believe that there is a place in yours and my life for remembering our past too, even our past sins. We are not to remember to wallow in them or to beat ourselves up over them, but to remain humble.

"Remember! Do not forget how you provoked the Lord your God to wrath in the wilderness." Deut. 9:7 (NKJV)

While this verse was written to Israel once they entered the Promised Land, I find application to my own life as well. I was once very much in the wilderness, and I was under God's wrath.

It is so very important that we forever keep the cross and the cross work in our view! When I remember who and what I was before Christ took my life to Himself I am incredibly humbled by His choosing me! When I think of the wretch that I was, choosing to live my life in complete and total rebellion to Him and His Son I am filled with awe at His grace and mercy. I know that there is nothing that I could ever do to make up for who I was or how I lived my life. I know that I deserved hell and damnation and were it not for Christ and His sacrificial death on my behalf I would remain lost.

I don't want to forget how my sin caused me much trouble in life! I think this is a benefit of remembering the past. Because of the pain sin caused me then I am reluctant to sin in the same way now. In the times when the knowledge that to sin does not bring God glory fails to be enough to deter my sinful heart and flesh, the memory of the pain and aggravation sin brings me adds to the reasons to flee from sins temptations.

Can remembering the past help you to repent? Check in next time to find out.