Live No Longer as a Slave to Sin

What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it? Romans 6:1-2 (NASB)

This is one of my favorite passages in the Bible. In one of my Bible's I have a handwritten note that fills in the thought behind these couple verses. It says: What shall we say then? Are we to continue to live as slaves to sin any longer? Are we to continue living as though we believe sin still has power over us? May it never be!

We have been freed from the power of sin, it has no hold over us and we have no obligation to listen to or obey the call of sin any longer.

What ought to be visible in our lives is an increased sensitivity toward our sin, and a disdain for our sin. This should bring to mind the kindness and graciousness of God toward us.

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8 (NASB)

Because of what has been done for us we have access to the God of the Universe, the Supreme Being, the Alpha and Omega. Because of that access we can come at any moment to the throne of grace and seek help in our time of need (Heb. 4:16).

Because we are able to approach God, we must. We are to confess the sin that enslaves us to God and seek the help of the Spirit of God and our fellow Christians in overcoming our sin.  God requires that I confess my sin to Him...confession is simply agreement. I am agreeing with God that what I have done is wrong,  that I am still a sinner and that I have an ongoing, continuous need for a Savior.

If we say we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and refusing to accept the truth. But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse us from every wrong.       1 John 1:8-9 (NLT)

As I change my desires from those that worship "Me" to those that will honor and glorify God obedience will begin to be a greater part of my thoughts. As obedience to the Spirit becomes a lifestyle I will have less and less desire to give in to the flesh.

Scripture promises that as we pursue righteousness we will be satisfied! Our desire will be met by God who earnestly desires that we earnestly desire to put our sin to death. Notice that Gal. 5:22 is a result

But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Here there is no conflict with the law.  Galatians 5:22-23 (NLT)

Since God is for me, who can be against me (Rom 8:31)? Since God has begun this work in my life and in my heart, He will carry it all through to a conclusion. God is at work in me and will give me the ability to change. He is transforming me and you into the same image as the glorious Lord!