"I Am Praying"

"I am praying."  This message showed up in my text message Sunday afternoon. Yesterday, I received an email from a friend who wrote that they were praying for us. As I left church a young man told me the same thing, "I am praying." What comforting words to receive in any form. Do you realize the power behind those three small words?

When someone tells me they are praying for me or mine it shows me they are invested, and that they are partaking in my sorrow or my concern. It is a revelation of their heart; that family goes beyond their own four walls and outside of their spouse and children.

Saying you will pray is selfless and sacrificial. You are taking time out of your busy morning, afternoon, or evening to plead my case before the Ruler of the Universe. When you tell me you are praying for me I understand the word "am" to mean it is ongoing, that my need has affected you deeply enough that you will bring it to the throne until you hear otherwise.

Praying for me or someone else is an indication that you place a value on who I am as a person, and on what I bring to the family of God. You pray because I have affected your life in a way that you are thankful for. Bring prayed for is humbling.

Praying is an act of obedience, and a demonstration of unity in the Body of Christ. Praying together for the needs of one another was an important function of the early church and was a main exhortation of the Apostles.

Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.  James 5:16 (NASB)

 Praying for me is an act of love. The fellowship love (phileo) of Christian sisters, and the selfless love (agape) that Christ demonstrates toward us. Praying for someone is giving of yourself and in doing so, you are expecting nothing in return.

Perhaps when you pray you shed tears for my plight. What a wonderful thing that God allows us to be so deeply affected for one another! It is so hope giving as I understand that I am not alone in the trial, that others are standing along side me, holding me and caring for me as I walk through whatever it is that God brings to me to deal with.

Since you have in obedience to the truth purified your souls for a sincere love of the brethren, fervently love one another from the heart, for you have been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and enduring word of God. 1 Peter 1:22-23 (NASB)

When you commit to praying for my concerns you are evidencing the Christ-life within you! Were it not for Him you would have no desire to pray for me, you would have no connection with me (or God) and my needs would pass you by unnoticed.  It is because of Christ that we have been enabled to care, and pray, and love one another from a changed and regenerated heart. 

Praying for others is a blessing, both to the one who prays and to the one who receives.