The God of the Smallest Detail

There has been quite a bit of road construction going on in our area. I believe it was underway before we moved here and we have watched its progress with interest.

The most curious thing to me has been the construction of a bridge over the Missouri River that is right next to a bridge that currently spans the Missouri River. The two bridges are not complimentary to one another, and I would not expect the current bridge to remain. However, the roadways that are being built seem to connect to both of them in places.

As I have watched this construction process I have been contemplating all the detail that must go into building things like roads and bridges where cars and trucks currently whiz by at 55mph. All the re-routing of traffic, temporary lanes, and closures of exits and such requires tremendous planning and foresight. One road is made of hundreds of details. Frankly, the thought of it overwhelms me! I am thankful that the Lord has given men the ability to create roads and bridges.

When I am confronted by something in life (that seems to my small way of thinking) to be overwhelming or insurmountable I have to remember that God is the God of the smallest detail. The information or ability that I lack has already been planned for by God.

He has brought other people into my life who have the qualities and abilities that I lack to help in accomplishing the goals He has determined for my life and the lives of those I touch.

Honestly, there are times I struggle with discouragement as things don't appear to be moving fast enough or some new roadblock is set before me and stands in opposition to what I think ought to be done. In those times I have to remind myself that while it may look like nothing is happening, God is arranging the details behind the scenes.

One example of this is from pregnancy. During those first critical months when no one knows a woman is pregnant and it looks like nothing is happening, nothing could be further from the truth! The baby is developing all its critical parts and forming physically into the human shape that we recognize. Many times all this is accomplished before the women even knows she is carrying a baby. God has been arranging all those tiny, tiny details in that tiny new human being.

Can I encourage you to remember this truth about God the next time you are tempted to believe that your situation is too big for God? Will you remember in your distress that God is the God of the smallest detail? I pray you will, as it will remove your anxiety about the situation.

"But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Matthew 10:30