Memorial Day

Today is Memorial Day.  I am thankful for those who have served our country by enlisting in the military. So many have suffered and died so we could be free from the clutches of men and nations who would desire to rule over us.

I am thankful for my Dad, a Navy Vet who served in WWII and is one of the few remaining men and women of that great generation.  My Dad served aboard a Navy medical ship in Guadalcanal in the Pacific during the war.  I am thankful for the Honor Flight he was able to participate in last November that connected him with thousands of other heroes just like him.

I am thankful for other family members who also served in WWII.

I am thankful for my Father-in-law who served in both the Navy and the Army.  When the Navy discharged him for a medical reason, he got that taken care of and joined the Army where he served in the Korean Conflict (War).

I am thankful for my cousin Ron (Army) who was a radio operator in Vietnam and who returned home safely.

I am so thankful for my brother (Army) who is also a Vietnam Vet. He was a hero and received citations from the President. He also made it back alive.

I am thankful for my friend Barbara's husband Keith (Air Force) who is currently overseas serving in a very hot place that shall not be named. His selfless dedication amazes me.

I am thankful for Ben who today serves in the Air Force.

I am thankful for so many young men and women I watched grow up in the churches I have attended who joined the Marines, Navy, Army and Air Force after graduating high school.

I am thankful for Caleb and Seth who serve in the Navy.

I am thankful for my friend's dad who was in the Coast Guard and her husband who was in Vietnam.

I am thankful for my own child, the son of my flesh who served in the Air Force and is now in the Air Guard.

My heart breaks for those who have died, committed selfless acts of bravery and heroism so that on any day of and week of every year I can be free.  My heart breaks for your families who grieve your loss and miss you with every single beat of their hearts.

I will not take your service for granted, I will not cease to be thankful for you. I am in your debt and I honor you.