Post-Abortion Help

There is currently a news story that is grossly under-covered. It involves a Pennsylvania abortionist who from all reports operated an office Josef Mengele would been proud of. If these reports are accurate, this man is a monster. The details that are filtering out are horrific and reveal unimaginable acts of brutal murder of the babies he delivered through late-term abortions. He did not spare the women either, as several are known to have died at his negligent hand. 

Many of you who read this blog today have had an abortion. You may have had no idea that the "thing" inside of you was a baby. You may have had the abortion under pressure from someone who thought they had your best interests (or theirs) at heart.  It is also possible you knew exactly what you were doing (taking the life of your unborn baby), but you were not at a place in your spiritual life where you cared.  


My goal is not to shame you, or call you names or condemn you. Chances are, if you have had an abortion you are still hurting from taking that step. The evidence shows that most women bear lasting consequences for having an abortion. The news reports of that butcher in Philadelphia are reopening wounds you thought were closed. 


Women who have had abortions describe so much lingering guilt (even after years or decades) as a result of the abortion. The guilt is real, because a human life has been ended by the woman who was charged with protecting and nourishing it.  I know there are cases where abortions are forced on women by parents, husbands, and other people in positions of power in that woman's life. Those are relatively rare circumstances compared to the number of women who choose to abort their child. 


Guilt is the result of sin, violating God's moral code for life.  Guilt is present when a person does something they intrinsically know is wrong. (Those who have no guilt have extremely hardened hearts and seared consciences.) The ugly truth is that abortion is the taking of a human life. 


The way to deal with guilt is admission and confession of the sin that is already known to God. 

God, you know my sins, and my guilt is not hidden from you. Psalm 95:5 (ISV)


Relief from guilt comes with admission of the sin to God and seeking His forgiveness. 


If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. 1 John 1:8-10 (ESV)


When a woman asks God to forgive her for causing the death of her child God grants it without any reservation. 


I acknowledged my sin to You, And my iniquity I did not hide; I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD"; And You forgave the guilt of my sin. Psalm 32:5 (NASB)


Both David and Paul were guilty of murder. Both men ended the life of innocent people and yet both were mightily used by God afterward! 


David's confession in Psalm 32 and 51 are complete. He does not justify or rationalize his sin, and he recognizes that his sin is against God. 

Paul (formerly Saul of Tarsus) was described as a man who was so intent on stamping our Christianity that he was as a wild dog, mangling the church (Acts 8:3).  He stood by and consented to the death of Stephen, persecuted the church and was responsible for the death of many Christians. His confession in 1 Timothy 1:13 indicates that he understood his previous actions were sinful and grievous to God. His life post conversion proves that he was indeed a repentant man. 

If you are a woman who has committed the sin of abortion and you have repented of any immoral ways, confessed your sin to God, and have been regenerated by grace through faith you stand forgiven.  Your forgiveness is complete in Christ. 

Sadly, the emotional consequences of abortion can linger in the heart and life of a woman who has had one. There is no human who can change that, only God can.  God can take your sorrow and broken heart and bring joy into life again. 


Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation And sustain me with a willing spirit. Then I will teach transgressors Your ways, And sinners will be converted to You. Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, the God of my salvation;  Then my tongue will joyfully sing of Your righteousness.

O Lord, open my lips, That my mouth may declare Your praise. For You do not delight in sacrifice, otherwise I would give it; You are not pleased with burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.
Psalm 51:10-17 (NASB) 

God offers you restoration! 

I waited patiently for the Lord; And He inclined to me and heard my cry. He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God; Many will see and fear And will trust in the Lord. Psalm 40:1-3 (NASB) 

You do not have to live with the guilt and shame of the past for any sin- even abortion. God stands ready and waiting to help you move forward in life.  If you are suffering, I encourage you to get help from a biblical counselor. She can show you from the Scriptures how to find help, healing, and hope in Christ.