Comfort for the Brokenhearted

I take the wounds of my counselee's very seriously. In Romans 12:15 the Apostle Paul tells us to weep with those who weep, rejoice with those who rejoice. While I may be less emotional than many women I know my heart breaks when a marriage goes bad, a child rebels, or a person enters into some other kind of crisis. 

The Lord gives us so many reminders that He is in the midst of our troubles. He refers to Himself as our Shepherd in Psalm 23, and the entire Psalm is full of imagery depicting God as our Comforter, Protector, and Provider. These are comforting truths to a brokenhearted person. 

Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him. Psalm 91:1-2 (NLT)

Those who are emotionally broken often feel as though there is nowhere to go, no one who will understand their pain. Psalm 91 reminds us the child of God will find their shelter in the Lord, He alone is our refuge and our ever present help in time of need (Psalm 46:1). 

God knows us personally and intimately. He lives within the Believer in the Person of the Holy Spirit. What amazing comfort to know that He searches us and He knows our thoughts, all our ways, and every unintelligible word we utter in the midst of our sobbing (Psalm 139). How wonderful to be assured that He cares for the brokenhearted as His very own. 

As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on his faithful followers. Psalm 103:13 (Net Bible)

Nevertheless I am continually with You; You have taken hold of my right hand. With Your counsel You will guide me, And afterward receive me to glory.… Psalm 73:23-24 (ESV) 

It seems so difficult to see beyond the pain of the moment, doesn't it? Our wise and loving God knows we struggle here, and has graciously provided us with words of encouragement to bear up under the strain and sorrow of these times. 

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19 (NIV) 

He will meet your needs. He will continue to love you and minister to you throughout this time in your life. He will bring something good out of all that you are presently enduring (Romans 8:28-29) if only you continue to cling to Him, believe in Him, and have faith in Him (Romans 11:33-36). 

He is enough. He is faithful. He is your comfort and your shield. 

Throw your burden upon the LORD, and he will sustain you. He will never allow the godly to be upended. Psalm 55:22 (Net Bible)

Trust Him, cry out to Him, receive His comfort in your brokenness.