Rolling With the Flow

If you know me at all you know that I am regimented. I like things to be predictable and orderly. I don't like change, and I am not a "wing it" type person, so you would think that the events of the past day would really have me in a twist. Not so this time.

We set out to attend a friend's funeral service and wound up flying literally all over the central and eastern part of the country before we could get home. Missed connections, stormy weather, cancelled flights, broken planes and sleeping in an airport are not things I am comfortable with. We figured that we spent enough time in airplanes to have flown to Europe and halfway back. Under normal circumstances, such things would have me completely undone. I would be "upset" (putting it mildly) and prone for anger and great anxiety.

First, I am not a person who enjoys air travel. I am the person you dread to plop down in the seat next to you. I cry and (attempt) do controlled breathing on takeoff. I typically warn the total stranger sitting next to me that I jump at every little noise the plane makes and don't even get me started on turbulence...

But God.

God's grace is so enormous. He enabled me to deal with the changes throughout the entire 36 hours. Experiencing God's working in me as I rolled with each flight and each change was so freeing, and brought my sweet husband such joy. He remarked over and over how he was thankful for my attitude and my spontaneity on the trip. That is not me. Or, at least it wasn't before...

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you iwill bring it to completion at jthe day of Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:6

I write about so many difficult subjects on this blog. So many huge areas of sin and sanctification that it is very nice to be able to write about something else today. I was reminded that God is at work in areas of our lives that are not always horribly sinful. He demonstrates His love and care for us in small ways too. His love is so vast and real and His mercies truly are new every morning. Enjoy your weekend, and I'll see you on Monday, Lord willing.