Staggering Under the Burdens

My friend just lost her daddy last night. I am far away and cannot render comfort to her aching, broken heart. Sometimes the cares and concerns of this world appear to be too much to handle. The amount of human suffering – much of it close to home- threatens to be overwhelming at times. Have you wondered how much more you can take? Have you cried out to God for understanding and relief? Have you begged Him to just make it stop?

Personal tragedy is not respecter of persons. From the huge things like hurricanes and tropical storms, to the personal things such as sickness and death, old age and bodily breakdown, to the every-day life things of financial problems, job problems, and broken relationships with family members are all common and all can be tragic. 

David cried out to God in Psalm 130, “Out of the depths I have cried to You, O LORD. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive To the voice of my supplications.” 

I have echoed his plea - many times. 

During tumultuous times, the temptation to follow our emotions is very strong, isn't it? Because we feel abandoned we tend to believe we have been abandoned. Our unchangeable connection to Jesus seems to be distant and thin. Prayer is difficult when we live by our feelings, and faith is difficult when we do not pray. It becomes a downward spiral that can lead to despair, and depression. 

Despite the feelings, it is necessary that we hold fast to the foundations of truth that are found in God's Word. There we are reminded that our loving Father is completely aware of our fears. 

The psalmist asks, “Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?” (Ps. 139: 7a)  He is asking rhetorically because he knows that God is completely aware of every aspect of his life. He knows that God is always with him, and there is nowhere to go that is out of the reach and watch-care of the Lord.  

If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there. If I take the wings of the dawn, If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, Even there Your hand will lead me, And Your right hand will lay hold of me. If I say, “Surely the darkness will overwhelm me, And the light around me will be
night,” Even the darkness is not dark to You, And the night is as bright as the day. Darkness and light are alike to You. Psalm 139:7b -12

This brings such overwhelming comfort to my soul. The Scriptures remind me that others have wandered in this place before me, and have experienced these days of unease. Even greater comfort floods my soul as I know, just as David did, that God is inescapable, He is above, below, beside, behind and even inside of me. I do not have to seek Him, I have been found by Him. I do not have to beg for His rescue, He has already done that. No matter the feelings that come the truth is that I am being kept, I am being sheltered, I am being carried and sustained by Him.

When your life seems to be completely out of control, please remember that it is never out of His control. God is the sovereign God of the universe and He does what He wants with what is His. In Christ, He loves you, He will continue to care for you and about you. You are His precious child and He holds you in the palm of His hand (Isa. 49:16).