Put Off Lies

Therefore, having laid aside falsehood, each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members of one another. Ephesians 4:25 (NET)

No one likes to be lied to. It destroys trust and can ruin relationships. What is the correct and biblical response and how do you overcome that impulse to be sinfully angry? That is the topic for today's blog posting.

I really hate being lied to. It is one of those things that will destroy the bonds of trust that have been built up and gives me reason to doubt anything that person tells me is true.

I get angry when someone lies to me. Sometimes that anger is understandable and perhaps even righteous because the Bible says that God hates lying lips (Prov. 12:22). What I do with the anger is what gets me into trouble. If I respond sinfully by yelling or retaliating in some way that is wrong. Manipulating by giving the silent treatment is also wrong.

But what do we do with these emotions that want to take us captive in the heat of the moment? To keep yourself from falling into the trap of a sinful response, you must train your thoughts on Scripture so that in the moment you can respond righteously.

You might ask the person who has lied questions about the situation instead of making nasty or accusing statements. Before you speak, ask yourself if what you want to say will help the situation; is it profitable? Will it give grace to the hearer (Eph 4:29)? Or are your words designed to hurt and cut them to the quick?

You want to learn if the person understand how serious lying really is. It seems to me that lying is considered by most people to be a respectable sin. I think people are so accustomed to lying that they think little of it. I don't agree with this, of course, but I suspect I am in the minority! Little white lies, telling shades of the truth, sparing someone's feelings, omitting all the facts; these are all ways lies infiltrate our conversations every day.

God does not think lying is acceptable. In fact, Revelation 21:8 makes special note of His displeasure. In the present, lying has serious consequences. We must put off lying ourselves and then help others to understand how to put off the heart attitudes of selfishness, pride, and fear of the opinions of man that lead us to sin in such a way.

A liar will remain a liar until they begin to put on the truth - first to the heart and then to their life. You may be able to help them to learn this truth and to teach them how to put off lying as a lifestyle.